The Awakening

I've lived in the DC area since 1984. I have seen all the monuments, most of the museums, and many of the statues and memorials. DC is a city that is great for all of those. Mostly because the vast majority of them are free. The Awakening is one of those cool sculptures that I think anyone who lives in the area for any while has seen, and probably enjoyed. Up until this past weekend, I've never seen this sculpture.

Over the weekend, my girlfriend and I decided to see it. We heard they were planning on moving it the next Wednesday, and I had hoped, in vain, to take some pictures without it being mobbed by visitors, probably very much like ourselves: grabbing a last look at one of Haines' Point's landmarks before the area fell to development.
I originally planned on bringing my new toy (4x5) out to take some pictures, but to no avail. With all the people clamoring for the best spot atop his knee, posing with their arms in his mouth and nose, I decided I didn't have the patience to fight for space. No worries, I thought, I'd swing out there early one morning the next week and grab some then.

Only I had to wait until Wednesday (moving day) morning. I figured (wrong again) that if I were to get there early enough I could get my first undisturbed look at the man crawling out from under the earth. With the snow forecast, the crews got to work at daybreak, and I was left, again, to observe the man under a barrage of attention, only this time, pieces of him were being lifted out and onto trucks. I did have my new toy this time around and got a couple frames worth sharing, I think.

The thing about the big camera is the undeniable patience you have to exert. You have actually figure out your exposure way ahead of time, shoot, and then hope you did it right, once you develop the film. No "chimping" with the digicam and fiddling to get the exposure right. The funny thing? Of all the digital frames I took, I happen to like 2 out of the 8 sheets I took with my 4x5. And I don't really like any of the 150 I took with my 20D. Maybe it's the unique look of it. Maybe they really are just a little bit more balanced b/c I had to think about it a lot longer. One bummer, though is my inability to grab any shots of the pieces actually lifting out of the earth. Again, I just take too long to compose. Add to that the small depth of field and the couple attempts were not too successful, to say the least. Anyway, here are a couple. Hope they're at the least a little interesting...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monacan Powwow

White Elephant

Dedication of Mantle: Virginia Indian Tribute