Color Polaroid



So I was finally able to "win" a bid on ebay for some polaroid film.  I had tried originally to get some black and white film, but lo and behold I ended up with some type 79 which is a nice ISO of 100.   The polaroid I had used not long ago (donated to me by the photo lab at NVCC) had been long expired and didn't turn out very well.  This type 79 film was also expired but I was absolutely stunned by the quality of the print I made (and it's not because I made it of myself). Sitting alone in my apartment waiting for my laundry to finish I situated myself near the window on a rainy day (just beautiful window light).

But it's funny how you have to try these self portraits with a 4x5.  I situated a pillow upright on the couch, and figured out all the technical stuff with the camera.  Then, I moved the pillow and held my hand out where it was, then moved my face in behind my hand, and pulled the trigger. I did pretty much the same thing but with a box of tissues in the second shot.

The black and white negatives really blew me away.  This?  This was just cool as hell.  In 90 secs, I pulled the sheets apart and stared at the photo.  No polaroid I took 20 years ago ever looked this vivid, or held this amount of fine detail.  I just love the quality of light the print was able to portray.  The color, I think is just beautiful.  I can't wait to use more of this exceedingly expensive film for more portraits.

Ahh, but poor Polaroid...no longer apparently willing to spend the resources on providing such a wonderful product to us in the minority, they announced earlier this year they would no longer be producing film.  There is hope, however, that Fuji will pick up the instant film business, buy purchasing the rights from Polaroid and we won't be lost.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monacan Powwow

White Elephant

Dedication of Mantle: Virginia Indian Tribute