frozen custard eating contest!



This past weekend I went to my first competitive eating contest.  The winner of the pro division (not pictured--they were a little blurry) downed 5.5 lbs of frozen custard in 6 minutes.  Good gracious.  None of the contestants were big burly men, either.  The winner, Ian "The Invader" Hickman, is not much bigger than I, if at all.  I'm 5'11", 175, in case you wondered.  Nonetheless, watching people devour over 5 lbs of frozen custard in just a few minutes was pretty astounding.  I loved it.  Is there anything more American?  I know there is that Kobayashi kid who seems to win everything.  But it must be an American invention right?  The best I could do to uncover the origins was the Nathan's Hot Dog eating contest at Coney Island which goes all the way back to 1916.  Funny thing about American culture, it usually isn't that old.

Anyhow, the first picture is of the Kid's division competition, and the second, of the Amateur division.

5.5 lbs in 6 minutes?!  I had a large frozen custard after the event (with fudge, whipped cream & cherry) which was like a half pint, and I felt stuffed...almost sick.  But I do love frozen custard.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monacan Powwow

White Elephant

Dedication of Mantle: Virginia Indian Tribute