Just got some more film in...




Just an update on my pics from the Hip-Hop Soulfest.  I'm still playing around with the crown graphic and coming up with enjoyable images.  Not sure so much about how good they are, but I still like the look and feel of them.  I also noticed when I go out looking for photos, I've started using a much wider perspective and actually "seeing" in a 4x5 sort of way.  Maybe I'm using it too much.  I don't know that anyone should be so wedded to a piece of equipment.  But I just like how it forces me to be more cerebral about my pictures.  I have to really visualize first, then shoot.  I think, in the end, it will make me a better photographer with my 35mm DSLR.
It has become too "easy" to shoot with a digicam.  It's too easy to be lazy.  See nice light, shoot, peek, shoot again.  Someone moves, motordrive...  Instead, I've found myself watching a little more intently, and paying attention to exactly what I want out of a situation.  Then I begin shooting, and I pay attention more to the spatial relationships of things in my frame.  I know when I started learning it was easy to pick out a subject of interest and hone in on it like a missile.  So much so that I ended up with a bunch of tight shots with my 70-200mm, and the pictures suffered from lack of context.  
With a film camera like the Crown, however, you have to back away and see the scene.  With my digicam, I've started using a 10-22mm much more often (with a cropped sensor, it's more like a 15-35) and tried to put frames together with more elements.
Digital cameras, for all their conveniences and contributions to steep learning curves have a drawback.  It becomes too much of a crutch.
So cheers to more cerebral and less motordrive-generated images.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monacan Powwow

White Elephant

Dedication of Mantle: Virginia Indian Tribute