60 years and counting...

I received an assignment the other day to meet and photograph the original founders of VA's largest county fair, the Prince William County Fair. All five were WWII veterans in 1949 when they decided that they wanted to create a competitive event for local farming families to get together and socialize. 59 years later, they are all still going strong. Each one has worked every year at the fair in one capacity or another.












The unfortunate part of the assignment was that before we took pictures (I was collecting audio as well), the fifth founder up and left. I asked the woman who was organizing this, "is he coming back?". Nope. He just left. Well, it is nice that people take your job seriously. And I don't blame the guy who left. They had been there for a few hours talking about the fair, and signing books. He was probably tired, and if people don't tell you that you have to stay for pictures, then I can't exactly blame you for wanting to go home.

I couldn't get there until a little before the event ended, and having spoken to the organizer the day before I thought I was clear about needing them all for about an hour to interview and take pictures. Sometimes what I think are clear requests, aren't clear at all. Not sure what part of "I need to take a portrait of them for the paper" means that someone can leave. Especially if it's a story about the "Original Five". Not "the original five minus one because he left and we didn't tell the photographer he was leaving...".

Ok, rant over.

Naturally, the Fair has changed over the years. Things aren't the same anymore in Prince William County. Years ago, the fair had dairy cows, cattle, sheep, and all sorts of livestock. Most of that has disappeared, these days. And those that do bring in their livestock are all from Fauquier county. It's mostly about the demolition derby, wrestling, rides and corn dogs these days, I guess. But since 1949, these men have brought families out to participate and learn about the agricultural world, and maybe enoy a funnel cake or two.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monacan Powwow

White Elephant

Dedication of Mantle: Virginia Indian Tribute