finding new ways to take pictures...


The holidays are upon us, and the new year is fast approaching. If it’s one thing I’ve rapidly realized, it’s that I enjoy pictures. Any kind of pictures. This doesn’t sound like much of a revelation, I guess. In fact, it seems almost like a revelation that I had to “realize” that I like taking pictures. But what I mean is that for the past couple years I’ve been dialed in to becoming as good a photojournalist as I can. Something I’ve tended to overlook is the potential of photographing not just people I don’t know (like at the newspaper), but also people I do know. I can help my friends by delivering a quality product that many people aren’t normally accustomed to receiving, while they can help me expand my business. So as I approach the start of 2010, I'm looking forward to something new to work on, in addition to being a photojournalist.

Fear is a terrible thing. It can be paralyzing in a number of ways. Fear of failure has often kept me from starting projects. These projects can either be story ideas in a photojournalistic sense, or can mean expanding my business. In this case, fear of failure has kept me from offering my portraiture skills to my friends. I finally took a leap of faith and have been pleasantly pleased with the results. I’ve also learned that taking pictures of children is a whole new skillset to learn. Thanks to my friends, and hopefully there is more to come, soon.



Sometimes schedules have to be flexible, so noontime shoots aren't ideal, but if there's some colorful shade, it can work out nicely...



Another thing I learned is that portrait ideas for a young child have to be flexible, they usually don't sit too long...make sure they have toys...



Sometimes the parents looking at their child are worth taking pictures, too...



They also like to see their reflection...


...and if they don't want to smile...just go with it...


...or if they can't sit still...just go with it...



...and if they intrude on the parents' photo...just go with that, too...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monacan Powwow

White Elephant

Dedication of Mantle: Virginia Indian Tribute