Monacan Powwow 2011

Here are some pictures from the most recent Powwow in Elon, VA. Still working on putting together the audio and video for a quick multimedia piece.

And of course we're still waiting to see if legislation is able to pass to federally recognize the VA tribes. Yes, the same Native American tribes that were essentially the first tribes to interact with Europeans on this continent. In fact the VA tribes still honor the Treaty of Middle Plantation (1677) offering tribute to the VA Governor annually in November.

This year was much more casual than last. I didn't set up a tent and do portraits all day for two days. This year my wife and I tried to just enjoy the event and watch. I shot a little video, recorded some audio, and tried to keep it simple for myself. Hopefully I can post something later this week.




Comments

  1. amazing photograph :) love it.. i hope i get this good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Monacan Powwow

White Elephant

Dedication of Mantle: Virginia Indian Tribute