Civil War Sesquicentennial Pictures




If you plan to attend Manassas National Battlefield Park, there is a Battlefield App. Really, there is. Look it up.


The Sesquicentennial “celebrations” came and went in Manassas. I figured I'd just make a picture page of what I did during the week.

Local representatives were involved. Sheryl Bass, Manassas City Councilwoman is preparing for a rehearsal of the 1911 Peace Jubilee reenactment at the Old Manassas Courthouse.


During the reenactment of the 1911 Peace Jubilee (meant to celebrate 50 years of peace between the north and south), a "film" crew eagerly documented the proceedings. I got a big kick out of watching them work.




I did not attend the First Battle of Manassas reenactments, the parade or the opening ceremonies. I was the evening guy this week, so I covered a rehearsal of the reenactment of the 1911 Jubilee, the reenactment of said Jubilee, the encampments (briefly), cleanup of said encampments, a blue-gray ball, and a Pringle House hospital tour.

Living historian, Noah Briggs, posing as a surgeon's assistant, holding a capital amputation saw insde the Pringle House Hospital, at Historic Ben Lomond.

Recovery room for the wounded Confederate soldiers from the First Battle of Manassas, at the Pringle House Hospital.

Almost 10,000 people camped out in horrible heat in the days leading up to the reenactments over the weekend.







Camptown Shakers, performed music made popular by minstrel bands in the mid 19th century. They were very good. One of my favorite parts of the week








It wasn't hard to see people like this walking all throughout Manassas. These "Union Soldiers" were headed to the bar for some beers.




Blue-Gray Ball. One woman flew from Alaska to be here with her daughter. I said I thought that was crazy. I don't think they liked me after that.



There were portraits of reenactors in the weeks leading up to the “celebrations”, and I met a man who was nursing his injured feet and injured horse following the reenactments.


Dressed as a widow at Sudley United Methodist Church.








The last of the vendors to pack up from the encampment site.





I don’t understand the fascination and the desire to reenact and “celebrate” an awful war made under awful circumstances. The War of Northern Aggression, the War Over States’ Rights, whatever they want to call it, it was a war fought over the southern states’ desire to keep slavery legal. It seems pretty simple to me. The only thing we should be celebrating is it’s end.

Maybe four years from now I’ll be in Appomattox making images of a southern surrender.




Jeff Smith, a living historian who plays the part of Col. John Mosby, injured his foot, and his horse injured his leg in a series of mishaps. He carries with him a stash of civil war-era personal items like tin cups, lye soap.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the nice words about my band, the Camptown Shakers. That's Renny, our fiddler in your pic. Amazing he doesn't snag that beard with his bow more often. If he didn't but it down occasionally they would probably grow together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Hope you had a good weekend here, despite the heat.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Monacan Powwow

White Elephant

Dedication of Mantle: Virginia Indian Tribute