Sherron Watkins, 14 years later

Last month I had the opportunity to photograph Sherron Watkins speak at George Mason University.  Sherron Watkins is known as the whistelblower of the Enron Scandal, which happened 14 years ago this month.  I don't suppose corporate malfeasance started with Enron, but it sure feels like it.  Since then we've had the recession, and countless numbers of corporate shenanigans.


Knowing I had a chance to photograph someone who participated in something so historic, I thought it was a perfect opportunity to shoot a portrait.  We all worked out the particulars, and I assured Sherron that I'd be ready for her and we'd take 10-15 minutes of her time.


For a larger selection of portraits, visit my photoshelter gallery, here.


Watkins has been touring and giving speeches for years, now.  I thought the most interesting observation she made was comparing the leadership of Enron to the fable, The Emperor's New Clothes. Those that did speak up, Watkins admits that there were several people who raised red flags, were quickly brushed aside.  So up and up the ladder the buck is passed.  Eventually you're left with a scandal.

It was an interesting talk, that I felt priveleged to listen to.  But even better, I could make some portraits of someone who was at the center of a defining moment in Corporate US History.




 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monacan Powwow

White Elephant

Dedication of Mantle: Virginia Indian Tribute